Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dream Big. Think Smart

Almost everyone gets told growing up. "Dream big" and you should. Always have a dream of something you want to do or be. It's never wrong to have those kinda dreams. However when you act on those dreams, you shouldn't just assume that it'll come true over night. You have to think smart about how to make those dreams come true. You gotta find people and places to help those dreams come true. This is true for all dreams, not just music. However, that's what I'm going to emphasize.

If you had asked me when I was 10 what I wanted to do or what I wanted to be, I wouldn't have said a word. If you had asked me what I wanted to be when I was 15 what I wanted to be I would have made a simple answer of a high school grad. If you ask me now at the age of 18 of what I want to be or do, I'd tell you that I want to be a servant of Christ. First off and foremost. Now with that I know I have quite a bit of growing to do to that. I know I'm going to make mistakes. I can't be perfect. Sin will keep hitting me till the day Christ come back or calls me home. Once I have understood and accepted that fact, Christ can start working more and more in me.

With that, I have several things that I want to do. I have mentioned them before and I'll mention them again. Christ has placed me in the world of music as well as with working to better the system of foster care. Those are just two things that I've realized that I want to do and what Christ has been blessing me with.

I'll be the first to admit I've had some weird abstract dreams of where my life is going to go. Me being the nerd and geek that I am, I dreamed I was going to be the first person on earth with a real lightsaber. Yea...ABSTRACT! Lol. But realistically I knew that wasn't going to be possible. For some reason I highly doubt God would let those actually exist. But if He wants them to well someday He'll show us.

All humor aside, the point is that that dream is a really BIG dream, yet it's very unrealistic. I can't see how God would use me with a lightsaber. Music and foster care is more realistic and quite achievable. For music, I have the tools available, but it's finding the people to help me fully utilize these tools. And I know God still has people to show me to continue building the path for me to get out there and be on those stages performing and sharing my gifts with people.

I was having a conversation with Michelle Bonilla last week and she was telling me that it took her a long time of hard work and dedication to get where she's at today. Which was about 10-11 years from what I remember.

I've had this dream for about 7 years now and I'm just now at a point where I can make a small breakthrough.

The main point for this one is: Dare to dream and fight with smarts to make it happen. I don't have any scripture off hand to go with this, but if you look at ordinary people who have struggled to get where they are at and what the outcome of that hard work and dedication got them. Best believe it can happen to you. You just have to be willing to put in as much if not more work and dedication.

So when you see yourself in the mirror and see the Lion in the reflection, know that that is what is inside of you. You just have to fight to let it out. It'll come.

Grace & Blessings

Richie

No comments:

Post a Comment